Box Office Associate –
The Dragon Theatre in downtown Redwood City is looking for a few outgoing, tech savvy people to be the face of Dragon at performances. Box office associates will handle incoming phone calls, voicemails, walk up patrons, and emails before performances at the theatre.
Part-time contract position for 2017 performances with the option to keep going in 2018. Stipend of $50 per show.
Box Office Associates are the first point of contact for our patrons, and as a result we’re looking for people to provide friendly and reliable customer service from the beginning of a ticket buy to the end of the patron’s visit to a show. Dragon’s performances are mainly Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights with Sunday matinees. There are also some Monday night events and Friday late night events. Box office associates are asked to report to work one hour before the house opens. No particular dress code, just something a little nicer than a t-shirt and ratty ole jeans. You will be part of a small pool of Box Office Associates so there’s some flexibility in schedule. This position reports to the Front of House Manager.
- The following tasks are generally required on every shift and are meant to give you an idea of how a typical shift runs.
- Arrive 1 hour before doors open to check email and voicemail and respond as needed.
- Reserve subscriber and other seats.
- Make sure the VIP box is set up if necessary and the house is clean and ready for patrons.
- Do a check of the men’s and women’s bathrooms to lightly tidy up or report problems to the neighboring restaurant for major cleaning/maintenance.
- Greet walkup customers and answer the phone for questions or sales about that evening’s performance.
- Greet the concessions volunteer(s) and get them situated for the evening.
- Check in with the stage manager as they’ll be directing you on timing for the evening and might have special instructions.
- Once the show is up and running, feel free to read or do homework – as long as you don’t disturb actors or the audience!
- During intermission answer questions (most likely “where is the restroom”) and assist concessions or the stage manager if needed.
- After the show thank people for coming and sweep the house for trash. Collect any reserved signs and clean up the VIP Box if it was used.
- Get the cash and info from the concessions staff and so the end of night reports.
- Take trash out and go home!
- There may be opportunities to sell season subscriptions during certain times of the year or stuff programs before the house opens.
- Professional and polite demeanor
- Consistent attendance and punctuality
- Able to self manage as you will be working solo in the lobby
- Able to remain calm in a fast-paced environment as customers tend to arrive all at once
- Excellent communication skills in written and verbal form
- Must be computer savvy, especially with email, Excel, and basic internet applications
- Experience with VBO box office software is nice but not required
- Must periodically check email at home for shift schedules/general information as most communications from the Front of House Manager are via email
Please send resume and note of interest to Kimberly Wadycki, Managing Director, at kim (at) dragonproductions.net to schedule an interview.
Designers Needed for the 2018 Season
Dragon Theatre Technical and Creative Staff Opportunities
We are currently seeking properties, sound designers, costume designers, scenic designers, lighting designers, stage managers, and assistant stage managers for the 2018 season. Potential on-the-job training for some positions available. Interested in Stage Managing, but have never tried? You can start as an Assistant Stage Manager and learn the trade.
Visit our season listing for details on the shows in 2017.
Please send a letter of intent and resume to Production Manager, Ashley Taylor Frampton at taylor (at) dragonproductions.net. There is a stipend for all production staff positions.
Actors: Please see our auditions page.
We hire Actors, Directors, Administrative Assistants, Stage Managers, and other Technical Staff on a show-by-show basis. Opportunities will be listed here.
1. We are always looking for more directors for our files.
2. Actors, you can sign up for our mailing list and be among the first to hear about all our upcoming auditions.
3. We are always looking for designers and occasionally back stage run crew.
All positions are paid a stipend on a per/show basis and based on experience. Thanks so much for spreading the word. Can't wait to hear from you!